Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Logansport High Schools . . . 1849 - 1973

LHS . . . Logansport High School
Logansport, Indiana

I graduated in the "4th reincarnation" of the high school in our hometown of Logansport, Indiana. 

I know we thought we were the BEST around. Shoot, we were in the NCC (North Central Conference). Probably the best athletic conference in the state of Indiana. Our teams competed with the best of the best. If memory serves me right, and that memory has probably forgotten more in the 50 years since I graduated than I had learned during my K-12 years there, most of the schools in the NCC were bigger than us . . . and they are now noticeable bigger than they were in 1969.

The New Seminary
1849 - 1873

It amazes me at the change in size of the buildings in these pictures. Makes me wonder if the population really grew that much or if people just started valuing education.


Central or Lincoln School
1873 - 1894

I would like to know the capacity of these two buildings? to the naked eye they seem similar in size.This might be something where I need to do a little research.


Roosevelt Building
7th and Broadway
Mom worked as a secretary at Franklin-Riley and Columbia Junior High. There were many times I went with her to the Roosevelt Building which was used as the Logansport Community Schools Administration building for quite a few years until a new, smaller, more modern building was built. The building which replaced the Roosevelt Building, as the Administration Building,  is still used to this day.
LHS that I attended and from where I graduated.
1914 - 1973

This is the building I fondly remember as "My High School." Now that I see when it was built I know why it gad such a warm, homey feeling. There were wide sets of stairs by all of the doors into the building. I can still remember wondering how the steps had gotten so worn and grooved. Now I know, the steps had been used by hundred, if not thousands, of pairs of feet in the 55 years it had been in existence until I graduated. That being said, I am still amazed how those feet had worn it the stairs as bad as they had.
Newspaper Reprint of the original article.




No comments:

Post a Comment